Since its foundation in 1987, Columbus has promoted and organized international events, such as: congress, seminars and conferences.
The purpose of these meetings has always been to share experiences, facilitate academic exchanges and create a space for discussion of topics of interest to universities and other institutions working on higher education in Europe and Latin America.
- Digital Communities: they were organized between October 13 and 15, 2014. Leveraging on new technologies to improve the quality and coverage of higher education has been pointed out as a priority by the rectors who gathered around the last Assembly of Columbus member universities. One o the activities that Columbus wishes to use to highlight the development of digital strategies is the organization of thematic communities. Starting with French-Mexican cooperation on the subject, under the title “Learning Communities and Digital resources” a seminar was organized in Mexico City between October 13 and 15, 2014. It was jointly organized by the ministries of Education of France and Mexico.
- Meeting with Irish citizens: with the aim of enhancing cooperation opportunities between Columbus members and universities in Ireland, Columbus organized a conference for 18 Irish universities in Sao Paulo on “Building win-win relationships”. It advocated for the principles of building a balanced cooperation leading to sustainable relationships in education and research going beyond attracting and recruiting students. This is being applied in Brazil, the country of origin of numerous international students thanks to the Science without Borders program, although it can also be introduced by any other Latin American country. This allowed identifying valid counterparts for those members interested in developing a cooperation program with Irish universities.
- A visit of the University of Gothenburg to Colombia. As a result of the close cooperation between the University of Gothenburg and Columbus member universities in the framework of the Sustainable Universities program, colleagues in Gothenburg in charge of the environmental management unit paid a visit to the Colombian universities participating in the project: Universidad Jorge Tadeo Lozano, Universidad del Rosario, Universidad del Atlántico and Universidad del Magdalena. Among the activities organized we find conferences, exchange of best practices and consulting activities on environmental management systems of the universities visited. A second round of visits is to be organized as a function of the interest shown by member universities. For further information on this project and its results please click here.
- Assembly of member universities of Columbus in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, July 2014. In the framework of the 3d gathering of rectors, UNIVERSIA - RIO 2014.
- Conference on the new Erasmus+ program of the European Commission, opportunities for Latin America. Universidad del Norte, in the framework of the seminar on International Education, European Chair, April 2014.
- Two workshops on Horizon 2020, the new research and innovation funding program of the European Commission. Universidad del Rosario, March and May 2014.
- Workshop on leveraging the opportunities offered by the new European programs. Training program organized by the Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD). EAFIT University and Universidad del Rosario, Colombia.
- On various occasions Columbus has provided support to the Universidad Católica del Norte looking for candidates to be recruited as faculty members on the Columbus network (dissemination on database and website). This service is provided to those universities wishing to hire foreign professors.
- Obtaining scholarships for business school teachers of member universities in order to take part in the International Teachers’ Program organized by HEC-Paris and another twelve schools from Asia, Europe and North America. Eight faculty members of the following universities participated: Norte, Talca, ISCTE, and Rosario.
- Conference on internationalization of higher education for deans, Vice-Rectors and academic units of all the locations of the Universidad Nacional de Colombia, with the support of Prof. Hans de Wit (December 2013).
- Forum on Social and Territorial Responsibility. Closing activity of the Benchmarking Club in University Social Responsibility. Asunción, Paraguay, May 2013.Further information
- Seminar on Research Internationalization, European Chair, Univesidad del Norte. Facilitator: Jesús Sebastián, Barranquilla, March 2013. Further information
- 25 años Columbus: Tracking Strategies for Innovative Universities: A sense making conference. This year our association celebrates 25 years of existence. For this occasion, we organised the event "Tracking Strategies for Innovative Universities: A sense making conference" which took place at ISCTE-IUL, in Lisbon from 28th to 30th of November 2012. Our aim is to consolidate Columbus as an effective instrument of academic collaboration Euro-Latin American economic growth and social and human development. Participation of member universities was necessary to validate the new directions and guidelines that will give a new impetus to Columbus with the active participation of its members. At this conference, which was a great success, we renew the acts of the association and the composition of its governing bodies.Documents, results and presentationsMore photos of the conference
- International Educational Seminar V. Catedra Europa, March 15 and 16; Internationalization at Home, from Theory to Practice. Once again, Columbus collaborated with this seminar, with the help of expert guests: Jos Beelen from the University of Amsterdam, and María Gomez Ortueta from the University of Castilla-La Mancha. This innovative seminar was chosen by Latin American member universities. See the and the evaluation.
- Strategic leadership in University Management. Prof. Michel Fiol HEC-France.Universidad del Norte. Barranquilla-Colombia. 1st April 2011. More information
- Workshop on Internationalization for Senior Leaders. Madeleine Green. Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla-Colombia. 31 March 2011. More information
- International Seminar on Higher Education Catedra Europa: the role of the International Relations Director. Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla-Colombia. 30-31 March 2011. More information
- III Conference of the FORUM TORINO: “Rethinking regional development strategies for the next phase of globalisation”. November 3-5, Sonora, Mexico. Results and presentations of the Conference: More information
- Panel “The Day After: Universities for Competitiveness and Innovation,” June 1st, Guadalajara, Mexico.
- II Conference of the FORUM TORINO "Regional Innovation Systems: From Vision to Reality", 1-3 April 2009, Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain. More information
- I Conference of the FORUM TORINO "Public-Private Partnerships for Knowledge-Based Regional Development”, 24-26 October 2007, Castello del Valentino, Turin, Italy. More Information »
- XI International Meeting on Continuing Education “Continuing Education and its Impact on the Workplace”, 21-23 November 2005, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Lima, Perú.
- X International Meeting on Continuing Education "Skills and Talents", 23-26 November 2004, Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara, Barra de Navidad, Jalisco, Mexico.
- IX International Meeting on Continuing Education, "Processes and Experiences of Management, Certification and International Accreditation of the Quality of Continuing Education and Business Training", 26-28 November 2003, Corporación Universitaria Tecnológica de Bolívar, Cartagena de Indias, Colombia.
- Seminar on "Labour Market Observatory: National and International Experiences", 21-22 July 2003, Bogotá.
- Seminar on "Confrontation of Experiences on Academic Reform in Europe and Chile”, April 2003, Valparaíso, Chile.
- Seminar on "Quality Assessment and Accreditation in Higher Education", 3-5 February 2003, Madrid, Spain.
- Seminar on "University Autonomy: The New Agreement: Ends and Means of Responsible Autonomy", December 2002, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- VIII International Meeting on Continuing Education "Current Challenges in the Management of Continuing Education: Trends and Critical Factors for Success", 6-8 November 2002, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
- The Impact on Higher Education of the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS), University of Lima, Peru, 2002.
- VII International Meeting on Continuing Education “Tools for the Management of Continuing Education Online”, 21-23 November 2001, University of Costa Rica, Costa Rica.
- Seminar on "Business and University: Joint Challenges for Continuing Education", 2-3 October, 2000, Universidad de Aveiro, Portugal.
- VI International Meeting on Continuing Education "Negotiation and Conflict Management", 4-6 October 2000, Universidad do Porto, Portugal.
- V International Meeting on Continuing Education "Competence and Skills of those Responsible for Continuing Education Centers", 3-5 November 1999, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Seminar on "Attraction and Generation of Resources”, November 1998, University of Twente, The Netherlands.
- Seminar on "Contribution to National and Regional Development" in the framework of the World Conference on Higher Education, October 1998, UNESCO, Paris.
- IV International Meeting on Continuing Education "The Role and Use of Distance Learning - New Communication Technologies", 9 -12 September 1998, UNAM, Mexico.
- Meeting on International Cooperation between universities belonging to the continuing education network (RECLA) and EUCEN, 9-10 May 1998, Politecnico di Torino, Italy.
- III International Meeting on Continuing Education "Continuing Education Marketing”, 1-4 December 1997, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana and Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Colombia.
- Workshop: "The Marketing of Continuing Education", 1-4 December, Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario and Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Colombia.
- Conference on "The University in Information Society", October 1996, Sao Paulo. See publication.
- Seminar on "Tools for Managing and Directing Continuing Education Centers", 22-26 July, Barcelona Summer School, Spain.
- II International Meeting on Continuing Education "Institutional Strategies for Continuing Education”, November 29 - December 2 1995, University of Concepción, Chile.
- Seminar on "Resource Allocation Systems in Universities", March 1994, University of Bourgogne, France.
- I International Meeting on Continuing Education, “Concept of Continuing Education within the University Context ", 1994, Piracicaba, Brazil.
- Meeting of European and Latin American Rectors, March 1993, Salamanca, Spain.
- Meeting of European and Latin American Rectors, May 1992, Monterrey, Mexico.
- Seminar on "Quality Assessment and Accreditation in Higher Education", September 1992, Torino, Italy.
- Seminar on "Innovation Consortium", December 1991, Florianópolis, Brazil.
- Seminars on "Quality Assessment and Accreditation in Higher Education", November 1991, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Seminars on "The University and Productive Sector", May 1990, Caracas, Venezuela and November 1991, Buenos Aires and La Plata, Argentina.
- Seminars on “Intellectual Property”, September 1990, San Jose, Costa Rica and October 1991, Salamanca, Spain.
- Seminars on “Intellectual Property”, September 1990, San José, Costa Rica.
- Seminars on "Quality Assessment and Accreditation in Higher Education", August 1990, Valparaíso, Chile.
- Meetings of European and Latin American Rectors, Campinas, Brazil, March 1998.
- Meetings of European and Latin American Rectors, Cascais, Portugal, July 1988.
- Meetings of European and Latin American Rectors, Salamanca, Spain, December 1988.
- Meetings of European and Latin American Rectors, Buenos Aires, Argentina, April 1987.