Columbus is administered by a Governing Board designated by the General Assembly. This body is composed of 8 members that equally represent European and Latin American member universities. The Governing Board's members serve 2 year terms.
The Governing Board acts on behalf of the Association, assuming the Association’s highest political and administrative responsibility. The Board presents an annual report to the General Assembly and meets once a year.
Current Governing Board members July 2016-2018
- Manuel Assunçao, Rector, Universidade de Aveiro, Portugal.
Felipe Londoño, Rector, Universidad de Caldas, Colombia.
Joaquim Clotet, Rector, Pontifica Universidad Católica de Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil.
Álvaro Rojas Marín, Rector, Universidad de Talca, Chile.
Herman Van Goethem, Rector, University of Antwerpen, Bélgica.
José de Jesús Williams, Rector, Universidad Autónoma de Yucatan, México
Columbus has 2 administrative bodies: the Governing Board, the members General Assembly. The Association's statutes define each body's role and function.
The General Assembly is formed by all member universities.
It meets once per year in order to:
- Discuss the Association's orientations.
- Renew the Governing Board (each two years).
- Ratify, if any, the membership of new universities provisionally accepted by the Governing Board.
- Approve the accounts of the past accounting year and take cognizance of the budget of the current year.
- Approve or ratify the quotas' amount.
- Make recommendations to the Governing Board in case of exceptional use of the Association's resources.